Another Ten Beautiful Things in My Life:
1. February – It is in your month that I begin to feel the arrival of Spring. I see the tiny buds on trees, the green shoots of daffodils, hyacinths, and crocus and I see the lengthening of days.
2. Sacred Taos Mountain – I do not know when I will see you again, but you are forever a part of my heart, my blood, and my bones.
3. Language – I am grateful for my ability to express myself through the humble and simple tools of paper, pen, and my own human mind.
4. Sunshine – today I will walk with you.
5. The pain in my hands – this tells me I have been using them. For writing, for typing, for creating, and for learning to balance myself on the back of a horse in a posting trot.
6. Phone, Notebook, Socks – they are all the same shade of red and look so nice all lined up. Notebook on my lap, socks on my feet, phone at my side.
7. Mortar & Pestle – the shiny black surface sitting on my windowsill assists in my creation of the best chicken marinade in the world.
8. Conch Shell – You remind me of ancient ocean origins, indigenous ancestors, dancing for and calling to God, and all the dear family and friends I have living in the Hawaiian islands.
9. Closed Litter Boxes – your heart-shaped openings and pastel colors keep noxious kitty smells out of my living room.
10. Electric Heat – on a cold February day, you keep my writing hands warm and help make that Winter Sun feel like Summer.